Hani Susilo Handoyo
To give meaning to a brand, it's important to create a brand image and establish what the brand is characterized by and should stand for in customers' minds. Brand meaning can be broadly distinguished in terms of more functional, performance-related considerations vs. more abstract, imagery related considerations. These brand associations can be formed directly from a customer's own experiences and contact with the brand through advertising or some other source of information (e.g., word of mouth). Performance. The product is the heart of brand equity. It is the primary influence of what consumers experience, what they hear about, and what the firm tells customers about the brand. To create brand loyalty and resonance, consumers' experiences with the product must meet, if not surpass, their
Brand performance is the way the product or service attempts to meet customers' more functional needs. It refers to the intrinsic properties of the brand, including inherent product or service characteristics.
The performance attributes and benefits making up functionality will vary by category. However, five important types of attributes and benefits often underlie brand performance. Primary characteristics and supplementary features:
- Product reliability, durability, and serviceability
- Service effectiveness, efficiency, and empathy
- Style and design
Imagery. Brand meaning also involves brand imagery, which deals with the extrinsic properties of the product or service, including the ways the brand attempts to meet customers' more abstract psychological or social needs. Four categories of brand imagery stand out:
- User profiles--the creation of a profile or mental image of users or idealized users based on brand imagery.
- Purchase and usage situations--the formation of associations of a typical purchase situation may be based on type of channel, specific store, ease of purchase, or associated rewards.
- Personality and values--the assignment of a personality to a brand, which Aaker describes in five dimensions: sincerity, excitement, competence, sophistication, and ruggedness.
- History, heritage, and experiences--the creation of brand associations based on their past and certain noteworthy events in the brand history ........
Andi S. Boediman
Ini kata-kata Bill Bernbach, salah satu advertising man terbesar:
"At the heart of an effective creative philosophy is the belief that nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature, what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action, even though his language so often camouflages what really motivates him. For if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
- Truth, Lies & Advertising - Jon Steel
Gampangnya, insight adalah 'isi hati' dari seseorang, yg mendorong ia melakukan sesuatu. Bukan apa yg ia ucapkan, tetapi yg ia rasakan dan lakukan. Dengan melakukan studi terhadap perilaku target market, kita bisa melakukan komunikasi hingga ke subconcious level, mis dlm contoh iklan Sampoerna Ijo adalah orang Indonesia adalah masyarakat guyub yg seneng
ngumpul, dalam contoh iklan Axe adalah cowok sebenarnya suka kalo didekati cewek.